Valeska and Avalon
How We Met
“Forever. Always.” Those two words mean a lot to my fiance and I. In fact, those two words got us engaged 5 months after meeting for the first time. 5 months!!! … and we still wish we could have done it sooner.
I met my fiance online over OKCupid (July 6th, 2016). We instantly found out we had a lot in common (same faith, background, music, likes / dislikes, etc.). We knew we were attracted to each other from chatting online but having not met in person still left a lot of doubts. We spoke for about a month online before meeting in person.
Our first date (July 26, 2016) was amazing and the one that tipped the scale. I remember visualizing and hoping the date would go well. And then she arrived, dropped her purse, picked it up and said “hmm … To be honest I need to use the restroom .. not sure I should be trusting a stranger with my purse.” But she ended up leaving her purse, quickly went to the restroom and came back to ensure her purse was still there. The whole time we conversed thereafter was beautiful. I kept thinking how “down to earth” she was. I remember thinking to myself “this is most genuine I’ve ever been”. I thought about kissing her that day but decided to wait it out and got into my car. I was so excited because in my heart I knew she was the one that I could visualize the rest of my life with.
We met up on the next day after that and the day after that as well. The third date was when we had our first kiss in a parking lot outside a circus. It was truly a memorable day for us.
A month in we said “I love you” to each other and by that time we had been talking about our life together: engagement, marriage, etc.We promised to stay committed because that meshed a lot with our values.
Since then, we’ve had many memorable moments: Celebrating her birthday, Giving her an elephant doll she eloquently named “sausage roll”, crying when watching romantic movies, dropping roses off her door when she had a stressful day at work, dancing in a gazebo, and of course the engagement.
How He Asked
1. A lot of her the girl’s friend always ask “How did he propose?”, so make sure she has an awesome story to tell them.
2. As guys we like to do it up big most of the times (our favorite raptors team, big screens in a public setting, etc.), but really think about what your girlfriend would like (Public v. private, family friends or none, etc.)
3. The less you say during the proposal the better because the girlfriend would be so in shock that everything you say would mean gibberish to her. Happened to a few of my friends
I had been planning the engagement for about 2 months before the proposal date. While a bunch of the ideas didn’t work out, I always kept positive and hopeful to give her the best engagement of life.
The plan that I decided on was to create a movie of our relationship, enacted by actors, specifically highlighting moments noted below. On the day off the proposal, she had a girl’s day out with her best friend Mariel (Manicure, Food, hot yoga, etc.) and was to end the day by watching a Christmas movie at her place. However little did she know, it wasn’t going to be a Christmas movie but a movie of our love. Her best friend had the movie on a USB stick. She was able to record my fiance’s reaction by literally just telling her she wanted to record the reaction to a funny video.
The movie ends with the door bell ringing and that’s when i come into her place and dance to our favourite song “Over and over again” by Nathan Skye. Before giving her the ring I had asked a friend to draw stick figures of us similar to what she had created for me on this website (https://lovebookonline.com/). I thought it would the best way to end the proposal before popping the question.
Memories in the video:
1. Our first interaction online – She had this joke “Knock Knock; Whose There?; Alex; Alex Who?; I’ll ask the questions around here. That joke still cracks me up till today.
2 Our first date with a memorable moment – She walked in the restaurant, dropped her purse, picked it up and said “hmm … To be honest I need to use the restroom .. not sure I should be trusting a stranger with my purse.” But she ended up leaving her purse, quickly went to the restroom and came back to ensure her purse was still there.
3. Our first kiss at a parking lot
4. Our memorable dance in a gazebo
5. When we watch a sad movie, we always both end up crying. When she sees me crying she laughs like no tomorrow.
6. Finally I added in slight hints like when I tell her “I love you” she says “I love you more”. Also bringing in a toy elephant I gave her for her birthday because she did not get to see elephants at a circus one time. She eloquently named the elephant “Sausage Roll” (don’t ask me why lol)