Everything You Didn't Know About Insuring Your Engagement Ring
Congratulations! You’re engaged, you’ve shared the great news with everyone you know, and you can’t stop staring at the gorgeous new ring on your finger! Now you’re getting ready to buy wedding magazines, set the date, and scope out everything on Pinterest, but don’t forget one critical step – getting that shiny new ring insured!
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company (the company our founder used to insure her ring!) filled us in on some little-known facts about insuring your new favorite thing:
- 1. Don’t settle for your standard insurance to protect your not-so-standard ring. Your basic homeowners or renters insurance policy might not include jewelry damage and/or loss. Find out before it’s too late.
- 2. If your homeowners or renters policy does include jewelry, they may require you to use only jewelers or replacement companies in their network or call around for quotes and submit a claim. Jewelers Mutual knows that losing or damaging a ring is hard enough and works with your specific jeweler – no need for estimates!
- 3. Your engagement ring goes everywhere you do. You aren’t always relaxing and staring at your hand 24/7. Lucky for you, your insured ring covers not only loss and damage, but theft and mysterious disappearance (aka gone with no idea what could have happened to it). Your insurance protects your ring no matter where you lose it – on (or off) your hand, in your own home or anywhere in the world.
- 4. You live in your jewelry—it doesn’t stay locked away to be looked at, it’s made to be shown off! Wear and tear on anything is natural, especially something that you have with you constantly. Stones get loose, prongs get damaged, and repair is part of your insurance, no matter the magnitude of the damage.
- 5. You won’t get a totally different ring if you lose or damage yours. If you misplace your ring, Jewelers Mutual makes it their goal to repair your damaged ring or replace your lost one and make it virtually indistinguishable from your first, all the way down to the 4Cs. Rest assured, no one has to know about this but you.
No matter what happens to your ring, (though we’re keeping our fingers crossed nothing ever does) Jewelers Mutual gets it. They’ll be there to listen to you, share in your experience, and work along with you and your jeweler to help you rest easy and make everything new again. Get started here!