How to Hide an Engagement Ring Before Proposing
This is it. You’ve bought the ring and it’s perfect! Chances are, you’re not going straight from your jeweler to your proposal, so you need a place to hide that new engagement ring of yours. This can be just as difficult a task as coming up with the perfect proposal, because if it’s discovered, the sense of surprise and all your hard work will be lost. Fear not! We’re here to help with a few simple but effective tips on how to hide an engagement ring before proposing.
Photo by Mikkel Paige Photography
KEEP IT AT THE JEWELER
The first thing we suggest is asking your jeweler if they can hold the ring until you’re ready to pick it up. Many jewelers are happy to do this for their customers for an agreed upon amount of time. Depending on where you got your ring, this is usually a great option for many guys and prevents you from having to think of a secret hiding place. It will also put your mind at ease knowing it is secure.
GIVE IT TO A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER
If that isn’t an option for you, or you’d prefer having the ring in your own possession, consider storing it at your parents’ home or the home o a trusted friend. This option would be especially helpful if you and your partner live together. Make sure to hide the engagement ring in a place that won’t be easily discovered too, just in case you and your partner are ever there.
SOMEWHERE SHE’D NEVER GO
Another great hiding place is putting it in a (safe) place where your girlfriend would never have a reason to look. For example, your golf bag or home office, but again, make sure those spots are secure. Do you have a hobby your girlfriend doesn’t share such as playing music or video games? Try hiding the ring in an instrument case or where you store your games. Voila!
How to Hide an Engagement Ring When Traveling
Are you planning to travel for your proposal? How exciting! But now you need to plan how you’ll get that extra sparkly item through security via your carry-on. In order to avoid any red flags with TSA, we’ve put together a list of things to do if you are heading to the airport with an engagement ring.
· Keep it in the box. It’s important to keep the ring as secure as possible while traveling with it – the cushion or pillow inside the ring box will keep your ring safely in one place.
· If you’re really concerned, tie a little note to your box that says “engagement ring inside, please be discreet.” This lays it out plain and simple, just in case any issues arise.
· Avoid wrapping the box as this might cause a scene with your girlfriend if
you are asked to unwrap it or explain the contents.
· Place the ring inside a clean sock, pant pocket, or anything that would seem normal for you to have in your bag and try to put that article of clothing at the bottom of your bag. Avoid placing it in with items such as electronics or liquids, as these items are usually the first ones to be looked at or removed.
· Should these ideas not work and you are asked to unpack your bag, you will want to make sure your girlfriend is distracted. Ask her to meet you around security and remain calm.
There’s much more that goes into proposing than just finding the perfect ring and getting down on one knee. Everything that makes your proposal plan special relies on making sure the ring isn’t discovered before it’s time. Try to consider where to hide the engagement ring t or plan for travel before you buy your ring in order to make your plan as seamless as possible.
Photo by Mikkel Paige Photography